Long beans have been my favourite and they are easy to grow. They never disappoint me. My children, grandson, sister, niece, and friends love to pluck them fresh from the garden It’s delicious even those bought from the market. So, what more if they are freshly plucked from the garden? Yeah, It’s so tender and delicious beyond words.
Long beans are second class protein. They are also known as vegetable protein. They are high in fiber and also have Vitamin B complex, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Manganese essential for body growth such as to build , maintain and repair tissue in the body.
Baby long beans on 27th Oct 2018
Lovely long beans ready for harvesting
More long beans produced
Long beans harvested
Old ones for making pickles.
One day, a friend of mine visited my little garden. And she taught me the recipe of “Long Beans Pickles”, She told me a story of how as a child, she never like to eat greens. So her mother created this pickles and before she knew it, she finished the whole lot on her
plate and even asked for more!
So I tried and tasted the recipe, Wow! It’s tender, crunchy and has the tangy taste. Mmm… really delicious and act as an appetizer with rice. Some of my friends tasted them and they asked for the recipe. Thank you Margaret, for sharing such recipe with me.😄
Long Beans Pickles
- 6-8 Long beans
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (depending on your taste)
- 1 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice or vinegar(i prefer Lime juice because of the favor)
- 1 garlic crushed and chopped
- a few sliced of pepper or chilli (Optional)
- Wash the long beans and cut into bite size. For children cut into 1/2 cm depending on age of child. Adult like me, I like the size as in the photo.
- Marinate with salt and leave for 1 hour. I like to keep them chilled
- After 1 hour. add sugar,lime juice, chopped garlic and chilli. Mix well.
- Continue to leave in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Served chilled with rice as an appetizer or side dish.